So your going to SantaCon. Good for you! Santa is excited to see you there! Before you don your Holiday Best, keep in mind some of the guidelines for SantaCon that have made it the amazing, fun, globe-spanning event that it is. The most important for those of us here in Beijing are as follows:
1) Dress up! A Santa hat alone is not enough. You don’t have to dress exactly like Santa but the theme is red. That having been said, unusual interpretations of Santa-ness are often appreciated and Christmas trees, elves, reindeer themes, etc. are all good.
2) Dress warmly! The happiest Santas are the ones who are prepared for those Siberian winds that blow through Beijing this time of year.
3) Address your fellow Santa as “Santa.”
3) Bring your subway card! Santa is all about spreading holiday cheer, so he’ll be moving around the city. Santa is also all about sustainable travel, so trains and buses will most likely be utilized. (Plus, who doesn’t love a trainload/busload of jolly ol’ elves?!)
4) Bring small denominations! If you’re not one of those Santas who can use WeChat or AliPay, do the Nice thing and help out the staff of the establishments that will host us and try to have exact change. It’ll keep the lines moving.
5) Santa doesn’t talk to the press. Even “ho, ho, ho” is controversial these days. Seriously, no-one speaks for Santa – not you, not that Santa over there, not even that other Santa. You can express your opinion but, since you’re dressed like Santa, the media might treat it as Santa’s opinion.
6) Drink responsibly! Being drunk &/or disorderly in public will tarnish Santa’s reputation. One Naughty Santa can ruin things for an entire group because we’re all dressed the same, duh. Don’t be that Santa.
7) Be Nice! Be polite and cultivate the goodwill of the local community.
8) Santa is the only organizer of SantaCon. If somebody asks you who is “in charge” you can honestly say, “Santa.”
You can Check out a full list of Santa’s Guidelines and read more about how this whole crazy thing got started by clicking here: https://www.santacon.info/about.html
See you on Saturday!!